This was a short project I worked on with The Trailer Farm. Due to the nature of the project and the very tight turn-around time, things had to be completed in days as opposed to weeks. The working files provided by the client were all in Maya but we decided to leverage the speed of Cinema 4D's renderer for the two sequences we had to deliver. I used Alembic to transfer all geometry and animation data from Maya to C4D and did all the shading, lighting and rendering work using C4D's physical renderer.
I predominantly worked on lighting, rendering and atmospheric effects. All particle effects and secondary post work was handled by another contractor working for The Trailer Farm.
Rendering time had to be kept as low as possible due to the time constraints. Frame time was optimised down to between 40 seconds and 1 and a half minutes on average. The final output was broken into numerous passes including colour, specularity and reflection, depth, motion vectors and object buffers as well as others. We made use of Rebus render farm to offload the final rendering as this gave us the most flexibility and speed.
These are the final delivered sequences - the 4:3 aspect ratio is due to the output platform being iPad.
The following set of images are from the first sequence.
The next set of images are from the second sequence